Many people will walk in and out of your life, but only true friends will leave footprints.

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Thing 5

I found this chapter very interesting, and enjoyed the section about EQ and IQ. I loved it when the author discussed the future museum of education, and that the #2 pencil would represent the 20th century of education. Amen!! In our instructon, we as educators know that "one size doesn't fit all," yet we are held accountable as though one size will fit all. I have seen a lot of progress in my first and second grade Reading Recovery students; however, their test scores do not always reflect it. As our students are on a journey to learn, so to are we on this journey with them.

3 comments:

  1. Belynda we are like peas and carrots! Though we can see progress in our students, it is not reflected on a standardized test. I see a lot of progress socially with my students but there isn't even a test to measure or reflect that!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm thinking of using this quote--about the pencil as artifact of school--with my students and asking them what artifact they would choose to represent their notion of school. It'd be interested to hear their perspective--to see how much progress we've made!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with "one size does not fit all". Not all kids are alike and should not be tested the same way. I think we need to do away with "NO Child left behind". Some students are taught at a different grade level because that is where they are in the learning process, but then they are expected to pass a test on what they were not taught.

    ReplyDelete